Invest in Your Favorite Programs: Become a Stakeholder
Direct your donation to a program or project you value! A stakeholder is a donor of the Western Folklife Center who is able to direct their donation to a program or project that they care about and want to support.
Our Membership and Stakeholder Programs are two separate and distinct programs. Being a $250 member does not make you a stakeholder. The Stakeholder Program is a straight-up donation to support a Western Folklife Center project or program. What you get in return is the satisfaction of supporting an organization and an initiative you hold dear. While we welcome a gift of any amount, stakeholder gifts begin at the $250 level. Please do include the word "Stakeholder" in your contribution.
Are you inspired by home-made Deep West Videos, or poetry films focused on the rural West? Would you like to support StoryCorps-style interviews that will document the rich stories in our community? Or, would you like to contribute to the development of CDs of classic cowboy poetry? As a stakeholder you can direct your donation to any of these areas and more.
● Website Rebuild: We’re redesigning our web presence to make the Western Folklife Center website more interactive, accessible and up-to-date.
● Moving Rural Verse: A project in-the-works to produce short poem videos that bring the rural West and its limited natural resources into closer view. A grant from the National Endowment of the Arts for this project will get us started, but only if that funding is matched by contributions from other sources.
● StoryCorps.me: In partnership with StoryCorps and TED we’re rolling out the new StoryCorps.me app and featuring a recording booth at the Gathering where you can personally record an interview with a friend, family member or anyone who inspires you and has a story to tell. Help us to expand this initiative beyond the Gathering, reaching out to the wider Elko community as well as producing programming inspired by the stories that are shared with us.
● Discussions and special sessions at the Gathering: These important conversations bring multiple perspectives and meaningful insight to stewardship issues. We hope to increase the quality of curation and distribution of these talks, so that they reach an audience even wider than the Gathering.
● Deep West Videos: Part two! We continue to invest in videography with Owyhee students from the Duck Valley Reservation, amping up the incorporation of the Shoshone language.
● Centennial CD Project: “Sun and Saddle Leather,” a compilation of Badger Clark poetry is the first in a series to feature classic cowboy poetry recitation from Gathering archival recordings. Help us to brush the dust off these classics that deserve to be heard.
In return for your investment, you will be invited to the exclusive Stakeholder Breakfast at the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering. You will also receive invitations to events in Elko and around the region. The Western Folklife Center is a Nevada non-profit 501c(3) organization. All donations go to support the mission of the Western Folklife Center. Your contribution may be tax deductible. Please consult your tax advisor for more information.